commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r680694 - in /commons/proper/cli/branches/cli-1.x: NOTICE.txt build.properties build.xml maven.xml pom.xml project.properties project.xml src/assembly/src.xml src/conf/MANIFEST.MF
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:01:21 GMT
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton a écrit :
>>
>> Personally I think its a bad idea having all this MANIFEST stuff
>> hardcoded - since it just makes errors during release more likely. A
>> good example was BeanUtils 1.7.0 where the manifest version number
>> wasn't updated and has caused alot of confusion and quite a few bug
>> tickets.
>
> I would prefer to remove the Ant build and use exclusively Maven 2 but
> that's the same old issue with Java 1.3. My idea was to build the jar with
> Ant+Java 1.3 and replace it in the binary distribution generated by Maven.
> That's why I updated the manifest to match the details of the one generated
> by Maven.

This seems too painful then IMO, because you have to manually hack too
many things to create the release - updating the version number in at
least six places, replacing the jar in the binary distro, redoing the
sigs/checksums. Building the RC should be as staright forward (and
reproducable) as possible. Better IMO to produce the release using
JDK1.5 and Maven2 and just provide an ant build to be able to test the
RC using JDK 1.3. As long as m2 has JDK 1.3 source/target options set,
then it will be JDK 1.3 compatible and as long as we test the RC using
Ant JDK1.3 then it ensures no JDK 1.4+ APIs have crept into the code
base.

Niall