commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <>
Subject Re: [cli] Avalon CLI vs Commons CLI 1.x
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:57:49 GMT
Jörg Schaible a écrit :

> Hmmm. I always thought that using the long option the '=' is mandatory while
> for a short option space is optional.

I checked the documentation for getopt [1], the '=' sign after a long
option is required only if the argument is optional. Same thing for the
short options, if the argument is optional it must be grouped with the
option (-O1 and not -O 1).

So Avalon CLI is right. The catch now if we implement this is to decide
how multiple optional arguments are handled. I guess this would make the
value separator mandatory:

Emmanuel Bourg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: