commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Cager <paul-deb...@home.paulcager.org>
Subject Re: [cli] CLI 2 State of Play
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:15:10 GMT
Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 16:02 +0100, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> I saw from the following blog[1] that Hadoop is using CLI
>> 2.0-SNAPSHOT, but they're considering rolling back (HADOOP-3676[2])
>> because of the uncertainty wrt CLI 2.0. Seems the most recent
>> discussion was inconclusive:
>>
>> http://markmail.org/message/ssh3mgwngpr4m5jz
>>
>> I guess the lack of decision on 2.0 is/was caused by lack of people -
>> although besides Henri, Emmanuel seems to have got interested
>> recently. Perhaps we should just throw out a release and see what
>> happens? Anyone got any ideas/opinions on moving forward - seems that
>> remaining in limbo is the worst option.
>
> The fact that there doesn't seem to be any consistent interest in
> developing Commons CLI is the problem.  I cannot commit any of my time
> to it I'm afraid.  I haven't really had chance to test Emmanuel's
> putative fix for CLI-137 which was a principal blocker.  However, a
> quick check appears to show that some of the problems of CLI-137 are
> still present  in HEAD.

I've just tested the 1.x head, and it looks to be a great improvement.
"hasArg" now works correctly - it allows multiple "-D" options, each
with a single argument.

By the way, are we all agreed that the "-D" type of option should be
"hasArg" rather than "hasArgs"?  I.e. each "-D" option takes only a
single argument, although you can, of course, have multiple "-D"
options. I think that is the intention of Emmanuel's patch and is
consistent with 1.0 behaviour.

However I believe the fix has broken "withValueSeparator", which now
seems to work only if the option is "hasArgs" (if it is "hasArg" then
the argument isn't broken on the separator). Changing hasArgs() to
hasArg() in ApplicationTest.java demonstrates this problem

[...]

> A couple of people put their hands up a couple of months ago offering
> effort but their offers weren't picked up on.

I've got some spare time coming up in a few weeks, and would be happy to
help. We use commons-cli 1.1 in Debian, and I'd like to see some of the
problems fixed.