commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: Compress vs. VFS
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2008 04:23:26 GMT
Hi!

> What do you guys see being the big difference between the 2 approaches
> and is that a good enough reason to keep both libraries?

VFS contains an old snapshot of compress just to being able to cut a
release.

Actually, compress is slowly evolving, once this has been finished we
will remove that snapshot and have VFS depend on compress again, as it
was before.

VFS allows you e.g. to access a specific file within a compressed
archive on an ftp server. All by just using a specific URL.
It abstracts various different access methods an archives like ssh, smb,
ftp, zip, bz2, tar etc.

But, with compress as exception, it does not itself provide any
implementation, vfs depends on various libraries for this and wrap them
with the same api.

Ciao,
Mario