commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODEC] Base64 decode() handling of invalid encoded data
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:29:05 GMT
On 14/07/2008, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Just noticed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-68 which
>  > implies that at least one person is expecting to be able to include
>  > invalid base64 characters without a problem - in that case, after the
>  > PAD characters.
>  >
>  > So maybe there is a need to preserve compatibility after all.
>

> Questionable. I understand the problem in CODEC-68 to be the
>  ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, which is indeed not what one would
>  expect.

Indeed, and the OOB has been fixed.

But the example showed:

So clearly the poster is expecting this to succeed.

However, that is not a valid message, and would trigger the invalid
character checking - assuming that the code checks that PAD characters
only occur at the end of the message.

I was testing the code to check for this - a test failed, and that led
me to CODEC-68.