commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODEC] Base64 decode() handling of invalid encoded data
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:21:43 GMT
On 14/07/2008, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Should have tried it before posting ...
>  >
>  > Both IOException and DecoderException are checked, and so this means
>  > that the method signature for
>  >
>  > public static byte[] decodeBase64()
>  >
>  > would need to change - or the method needs to convert the
>  > DecoderException to an unchecked error.
>  >
>  > Thoughts?
>

> In such cases I'd recommend to catch the Exception and convert it into
>  an UndeclaredThrowableException. However, I'd also deprecate the
>  method and add a successor. I'd discourage things like adding a
>  boolean flag that suppresses the exception.

Just noticed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-68 which
implies that at least one person is expecting to be able to include
invalid base64 characters without a problem - in that case, after the
PAD characters.

So maybe there is a need to preserve compatibility after all.

Perhaps one way round this would be to add method(s) that enforce validation?