commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Java 5
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:07:03 GMT
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/06/2008, Gary Gregory <GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Isn't using a new package name the safest thing to do?
>>
>>  What if: My application depends on lang1 (pre-Java 5 dependency) through a 3rd party
dependency. I want to write my code with lang2 (Java 5 enabled). If lang2 has deprecations
removed, then the classpath order matters: lang1 has to come first or the 3rd party dependency
code will get a NoSuchMethodException.

> Surely if the old class is not found in the first jar in the
> classpath, subsequent jars will also be searched for the class?
>
> So CLASSPATH=lang2,lang1 should work for both cases - or am I missing something?

What about in the case of a webapp, though?  You can't really control
the classpath order (unless you change the jar names I guess).