commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Java 5
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:31:54 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would agree that for Lang that *if* the API change breaks
> compatibility, then a package name change would be appropriate - but I
> think its a mistake in general to start making decisions along the
> lines JDK 1/5/Generics == package rename BEFORE there are any concrete
> proposals on the table.

Perhaps we need to come up with a standardized versioning strategy for
Commons projects, then.  A simple rule might be that if you're
breaking compatibility, you have to jump major versions and change
your package names (I would argue that whenever we jump version
numbers, we should change package names to match to keep things
consistent).  I keep bringing this up, but it never gets anywhere.
I'm kind of stubborn like that I guess. :)

If merely jumping to JDK5 language level doesn't break API
compatibility, then let's not jump to a new major version.