commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] A few comments
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:19:54 GMT

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:32, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Torsten Curdt a écrit :
>>> - the exceptions could extend IOException
>> Could - but why restrict it that way? (composition over inheritance)
>
> I don't see this as a restriction.

Well, it means all ArchiveException necessarily need to be
IOExceptions. That's restricts their type.
I don't see the benefit.

> An issue during a compression or archive operation is an IO
> exception to me. The TrueZIP developers made the same assumption:
>
> https://truezip.dev.java.net/nonav/javadoc-6/de/schlichtherle/io/ArchiveException.html

I don't realy see that being an argument :) ...they^^^^he did other
very weird design decisions, too. :)

>>> - IOUtils.copy(in, out) could call copy(in, out, size)
>> Where is that?
>
> In the org.apache.commons.compress.utils.IOUtils class from Chris
> archive.

Ah

>>> - the header in ArArchive*Stream could be factorized (ArConstants?
>>> along with the sizes of the entry fields)
>> Hm ...IMO only useful if used somewhere else. Otherwise it's just
>> work. Or where do you see the benefit?
>
> Just to have a cleaner code. PMD or Checkstyle will complain about
> "magic numbers" otherwise.

Cleaner code is debatable :) ...but if someone wants to do it. *shrug*

>>> - Ant has a JarMarker class that extends ZipExtraField, is there
>>> an equivalent ?
>> Could you elaborate?
>
> I don't know what it is, but it seems the Ant source is more recent
> than the code in compress, it might be good to resync the code with
> Ant.

+1

>> Hm ...indeed. But IMO the changeset stuff is where it actually gets
>> interesting :)
>
> It's also the most debatable topic, and it will delay the release.
> The other stuff is ready for a release.

In what sense debatable?