commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Kirst Martin Wolfgang" <MKi...@PortolanCS.com>
Subject AW: Re: [daemon] How is commons daemon project status?
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 07:54:35 GMT

Thanks for the Info.

Regards
 Martin

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] Im Auftrag von Bill Barker
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008 05:51
An: dev@commons.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [daemon] How is commons daemon project status?

>"Kirst Martin Wolfgang" <MKirst@PortolanCS.com> wrote in message
>Hello,
>
>I've checked out commons daemon from trunk today and got "prunsrv.exe"
>to compile and working just fine in my tests.
>
>How is the status of this project? Is it somehow safe to use it in some
>kind of productive area? When the next release is scheduled?

The status of this project is probably 'mature'.  It won't change much for
prunsrv until MS changes the service API.

It is currently released with a re-named binary on all Tomcat 5.5.x and
Tomcat 6.x releases.  As a result, it is being used in production on very
many sites.  Especially on the Windows side of commons-daemon, the devolpers
are mostly Tomcat developers that don't seem to have a lot of interest in
apache-commons now that Jakarta has broken up.  I would guess that there
probably won't be another release via commons, at least for the Windows
component.  Releases will probably continue to go through Tomcat (although,
unlike other commons components, this one hasn't been forked).