commons-dev mailing list archives

From pedritop2000-...@yahoo.es
Subject RShell:All ports in use or insufficient permssion.
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:19:05 GMT
Hi,

I want to invoke a command in a remote machine using RSh(remote shell) from my java app,
so I'm trying out the examples.rshell class in commons-net-1.4.1.
The only way it succeeded was running the Java app from linux(as root) to linux, but my app
will not be run as root, and I must invoke a command using rsh.
From the linux shell, it works fine using the rsh command from non-root user to a non-root
user in other linux machine. The command is like this one:
    rsh -l myuser remoteIP "ls -l"

The question is: Why must it be run as root the examples.rshell class if linux OS allows me
to do it as non-root from the command shell? Can I get it not being root in the source machine?

As I've seen in the code, it limits itself and throws an exception:
    if (localPort < MIN_CLIENT_PORT)
            throw new BindException("All ports in use or insufficient permssion.");

Thanks!