commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Java 5
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:11:45 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:43 AM, James Carman
<james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> There is a JIRA item for using generics, and another
>> for varargs.  Additionally it'd probably be nice to
>> use generics-level reflection in the oacl.reflect
>> package.  Thoughts on [lang] 3.0 moving to Java 5
>> source level?
>
> +1, but I think we need to consider changing the package names (I know
> you folks are sick of me saying that) if the API is going to change
> that drastically.

I would agree that for Lang that *if* the API change breaks
compatibility, then a package name change would be appropriate - but I
think its a mistake in general to start making decisions along the
lines JDK 1/5/Generics == package rename BEFORE there are any concrete
proposals on the table.

Niall

P.S. Perhaps its a moot point in Lang's case since I guess the
deprecated enum package has to be removed to move to a minimum of JDK
1.5.