commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] A few comments
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:32:59 GMT
Torsten Curdt a écrit :
>> - the exceptions could extend IOException
>
> Could - but why restrict it that way? (composition over inheritance)

I don't see this as a restriction. An issue during a compression or
archive operation is an IO exception to me. The TrueZIP developers made
the same assumption:

https://truezip.dev.java.net/nonav/javadoc-6/de/schlichtherle/io/ArchiveException.html

>> - IOUtils.copy(in, out) could call copy(in, out, size)
>
> Where is that?

In the org.apache.commons.compress.utils.IOUtils class from Chris archive.

>> - the header in ArArchive*Stream could be factorized (ArConstants?
>> along with the sizes of the entry fields)
>
> Hm ...IMO only useful if used somewhere else. Otherwise it's just work.
> Or where do you see the benefit?

Just to have a cleaner code. PMD or Checkstyle will complain about
"magic numbers" otherwise.

>> - Ant has a JarMarker class that extends ZipExtraField, is there an
>> equivalent ?
>
> Could you elaborate?

I don't know what it is, but it seems the Ant source is more recent than
the code in compress, it might be good to resync the code with Ant.

> Hm ...indeed. But IMO the changeset stuff is where it actually gets
> interesting :)

It's also the most debatable topic, and it will delay the release. The
other stuff is ready for a release.

Emmanuel Bourg