commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: [lang] Java 5
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:45:10 GMT

James Carman wrote:
> Perhaps we need to come up with a standardized versioning strategy for
> Commons projects, then.  A simple rule might be that if you're
> breaking compatibility, you have to jump major versions and change
> your package names (I would argue that whenever we jump version
> numbers, we should change package names to match to keep things
> consistent).  I keep bringing this up, but it never gets anywhere.
> I'm kind of stubborn like that I guess. :)
> If merely jumping to JDK5 language level doesn't break API
> compatibility, then let's not jump to a new major version.
This confuses me. Doesn't the fact that since the code will no longer
run on a pre-1.5 JDK mean that compatibility is broken, even if not a
single line of code changes? (Yes - I know that we technically only
release source so in that case it could be recompiled, but I work with
Maven). In any case, I expect that the code will only compile with a 1.5
compiler anyway.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message