commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubation proposal for [flatfile] component
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:57:18 GMT
On 18/06/2008, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At long last, I have prepared the preliminary
>  proposal.  I'd like to have the support of Commons as
>  the sponsoring PMC.  I'd also like it if I could get a
>  couple of mentors from the group as well.  The current
>  proposal can be viewed at:
>  http://people.apache.org/~mbenson/flatfile-proposal/proposal

If I understand the docs, the proposed project allows one to parse or
generate flat files in different formats, the formats being defined by
a data description language - is that correct?
If so, it might help to say that both reading/writing of flat files is
supported.

It would really help to have some simple examples - and maybe some
not-so-simple examples: e.g. could it be used to parse some of the ASF
data files?

>  If you have any interest in this being a Commons
>  component, or if you are a PMC member and feel you
>  would veto Commons' sponsorship of this podling,
>  please say so.  Assuming the initial reaction is
>  positive, I will then call a vote to make the
>  sponsorship official and move the proposal to the
>  Incubator wiki where I hope volunteering mentors will
>  add themselves.  :)

Seems to me that Commons is a suitable home for the code.