commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [math] should version 2.0 be targeted to Java 5 ?
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 17:18:28 GMT
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> There must be many projects that use Commons Math that aren't
> published in the Maven repository.
>
> Indeed if not, why was Commons Math created? There must be some
> projects using it!

I think the point was that we aren't very likely to get into the "jar
hell" situation, where two different projects depend on two different
versions of commons-math and my project depends on both of those
projects.  I just think that the JDK5 jump merits jumping major
versions.  And, if you're going to jump versions, you should jump your
package name to match.  Again, that's just my opinion.  I would just
like to see Commons do things in a somewhat consistent manner when it
comes to this kind of thing.