commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons SCXML 0.8
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 17:14:32 GMT
Thanks for your time Phil, comments below ...

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > This is a vote to release the following artifacts as Commons SCXML 0.8:
>  >
>  >  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/scxml/0.8/RC2/
>  >
>  > ------------
>
> > [ X] +1 for release
>
> > [ ] +0
>  > [ ] -0
>  > [ ] -1 for release because...
>  > ------------
>  >

> Checked sigs, hashes, tag, m1, m2, Ant builds - all fine.  I assume
>  the OSGi stuff in the jar manifest is OK, despite funny formatting.
>  Please someone verify.

<snip/>

AIUI, the OSGi plugin just enforces the manifest line width
restrictions. Ofcourse, happy to have more people verify.

>  I guess its the release plugin that does this:
>  <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/tags/SCXML_0_8_RC2</connection>
>   ?

<snap/>

Yes, but under my tutelage, so I'll take all the blame on this one :-)

I did spend some time thinking about this beforehand. Of these two approaches:

1. Tag each RC as if it were the final / release tag. Delete tag if
RC++, and redo.
2. Tag RCs as RCs. Copy tag for passing RC as release tag.

... I personally prefer the latter, since:

 * I don't like the idea of a release tag existing before a release
passes muster
 * I think its good housekeeping to retain RC tags

>  The site builds fine from the source distro, but will point to the RC2
>  tag in project info.  I guess this is OK, since the tag is going to be
>  copied on release.

<snip/>

Yes, it'll be copied to SCXML_0_8 if vote passes. The way the Commons
SCXML site on c.a.o is deployed, its always the latest / snapshot
(there are separate pointers in site navbar for release documentation,
such as Javadocs), so the c.a.o site will have the correct bits in
project info. Folks building from 0.8 source will indeed get the RC2
tag (the tag will not be removed).

Finally, if anyone wants to discuss tagging with the release plugin
any more (though not too much more :-), I'm happy to do that in a new
thread.

-Rahul