commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] should version 2.0 be targeted to Java 5 ?
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 16:02:49 GMT
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> James Carman a écrit :
>>
>> Would it be better to make it Math 2.0?  With a language level change
>> like that, it should probably be a new major version.  You should also
>> consider putting the stuff in org.apache.commons.math2 packages to
>> avoid "jar hell" issues.
>
> And if you do so, you'll have to change the Maven identification of the jar.
> That's the right time to release Commons Math as
> org.apache.commons:commons-math instead of commons-math:commons-math.

Both good points.  Lets get the maven namespace fixed in 2.0.  Thanks
in advance for help making sure we don't screw that up.

Regarding package renaming, there are very few backward incompatible
changes lined up for 2.0, and all of the proposed 1.5-dependent stuff
is new, so I am hesistant to do a wholesale change.  What would be the
problem with renaming only packages that contain classes with
incompatible changes?

Phil