commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [all] m2 releases, common issues
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 18:11:48 GMT
Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org>
>> wrote:

See
>>> The fix for this is included in the upcoming site plugin 2.0-beta-7, see
>>> schedule: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan

>>> This is by design. How is this a problem for us? Is it a problem for
>>> RCs?
>>
>> Pointing to the RC tag, rather than final tag for the release - e.g.
>> scxml 0.8
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-scxml/commons-scxml/0.8/commons-scxml-0.8.pom
>>

> Ah, I see. That's because the way we currently do releases isn't
> directly supported by the release plugin.
>
> So we either change the way we do releases. Instead of voting on stuff
> with an RC-tag in svn we'd vote on stuff with a release-tag. If the
> release faila the release tag is removed and is later recreated when all
> problems have been solved. If someone wants to have a special RC-tag,
> for the sake of history, that can be accomplished easily with a command
> line subversion remote copy. If we wanted to, we could turn that into a
> Maven plugin and attach it to the release cycle.

I don't really like this idea. All our discussions are public and the
staging repository is publicly available. This means versions with the
proper tag and proper signatures are available for download by anybody.
If someone grabs one such version and the vote fails, we will end up
with two different versions with the same tags, different contents and
good signatures. I'm sure this will lead to confusion one day.

This reminds me of the old story about the infamous version 2.96 of gcc.

Luc