commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] should version 2.0 be targeted to Java 5 ?
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 19:00:39 GMT
Phil Steitz a écrit :
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
>> James Carman a écrit :
>>> Would it be better to make it Math 2.0?  With a language level change
>>> like that, it should probably be a new major version.  You should also
>>> consider putting the stuff in org.apache.commons.math2 packages to
>>> avoid "jar hell" issues.
>> And if you do so, you'll have to change the Maven identification of the jar.
>> That's the right time to release Commons Math as
>> org.apache.commons:commons-math instead of commons-math:commons-math.
>>

> Both good points.  Lets get the maven namespace fixed in 2.0.  Thanks
> in advance for help making sure we don't screw that up.
>
> Regarding package renaming, there are very few backward incompatible
> changes lined up for 2.0, and all of the proposed 1.5-dependent stuff
> is new, so I am hesistant to do a wholesale change.  What would be the
> problem with renaming only packages that contain classes with
> incompatible changes?

I see three problems with a mixed approach like this.

  - it is inconsistent and therefore difficult to understand to end-users
  - it prevents using simple search/replace to switch from 1.x to 2.x
  - it doesn't help when the two jars are in classpath and a class
    with no incompatible change (i.e still in a .math.something
    package) calls a class with an incompatible change

I'm also quite reluctant to packages names change, but it is only a
personal taste and therefore not important. I agree this is the safer
solution as it handles things properly.

Here is my proposal, summarizing what has been discussed so far in this
thread and adding my own bias:

  - commons-math 2.0 will target Java 1.5 as the minimal version
  - the maven groupId will be changed from commons-math to
    org.apache.commons (the artifactID is unchanged)
  - all packages will be relocated under org.apache.commons.math2

If nobody complains (mainly about the third point), I am going to
perform these changes in branch 2.0 on Sunday.

Luc