commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [NET] Tabs and spaces
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 19:53:18 GMT

In message <25aac9fc0805191028r28bff636h10c27d4fc9a6681@mail.gmail.com>, sebb w
rites:
>Any views on fixing these?
>
>I'm happy to do this.

Way back when the code made it to Jakarta, it was run through a code
formatter which did awful things to the code (my opinion only), but
that's when the four space indentation standard was introduced across
the entire code base (the original code used GNU-style 2 spaces) and
why any files I touched since then have Emacs indentation directives at
the bottom for 4 spaces and no tabs (but not everyone uses Emacs).
There should be a coding standards file written by Jon Stevens somewhere
in the documentation tree specifying 4-space indentation.  So, no, there
should be no tabs in the code and they probably were introduced by
applying one or more patches without cleaning them up first.  If you
have the time, by all means go ahead and do the equivalent of a
find -name "*.java" -print | xargs expand -t 4

daniel

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
                    Igfip                      o    s a v a r e s e
The strategic alternative for online games(tm).o   software research
            http://www.igfip.com/              o http://www.savarese.com/