commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [Commons Wiki] Update of "CommonsIncubatorProposal" by MattBenson
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:45:53 GMT
What would make a project become an Apache Commons Incubator "podling"
vs. an Apache Commons Sandbox project?  Is that something we decide on
a case-by-case basis?  Perhaps we could just better formalize the
sandbox's charter so that maybe we flag projects as "donated" rather
than "grown" inside the sandbox?  If a project is considered
"donated", then one of the requirements of graduation to "proper"
would be that the IP is verified.

However, since the ASF has already considered this and figured out a
process for dealing with this (hence the ASF Incubator), maybe we
should ask them for a "fast-track" or "lite" process for bringing code
in from the outside.  Perhaps there could be a process whereby we
figure out if the IP restrictions are okay somewhat quickly, but the
community isn't necessarily in place (I think that is primarily the
other restriction)?  Perhaps we could ask for an "Apache Commons
Fastrack" process as part of the Incubator?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,
>
>  You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Commons Wiki" for change notification.
>
>  The following page has been changed by MattBenson:
>  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsIncubatorProposal
>
>  The comment on the change is:
>  Initial proposal for a Commons Incubator
>
>  New page:
>  Commons Incubator Proposal
>
>  ABSTRACT
>
>  The Commons Incubator would act as a "perpetual podling" or "mini-Incubator"
>  overseeing the influx of components to be adopted into Apache Commons.
>

>  BACKGROUND
>
>  Apache Commons, a conglomerate of smallish Java libraries, lacks a good procedure
>  for importing preexisting codebases.
>

>  RATIONALE
>
>  The typical ASF top-level project (TLP) absorbs code donations by means of a software
grant.
>  Clearly delineated subprojects (usually partially or completely dependent on the TLP)
often
>  enter instead through the Incubator.  Commons, as a project that has no code other than
that
>  of its subprojects, is essentially a microcosm of the ASF itself.  Commons has long
offered a
>  sandbox area for the development of new ideas, similar to the approach now taken in
Apache Labs.
>  With regard to the creation of new subprojects from preexisting codebases, however,
the PMC is
>  in agreement that procedures similar to those in practice in the ASF Incubator are more
appropriate
>  than the software grant approach, given that the Incubator has already formalized much
the same
>  process as would need to be taken to guarantee the acceptability of donated code.  Unfortunately
>  the processes of the Incubator proper are not a perfect fit.
>
>  With regard to community exit requirements, a typical podling requires a heterogenous
community
>  of three or more developers.  Commons considers itself an open community in that all
Commons
>  committers have karma to all components, thus any component to graduate into Commons
proper
>  inherits an existing, diverse community.  This greatly mitigates any component's risk
of orphanhood.
>  The PMC envisions Commons' incubator space as functioning in a manner similar to that
in which its
>  development sandbox currently operates:  all ASF committers are welcome to participate
in the
>  Commons sandbox, and would be welcome to contribute to incubating components, subject
to a natural
>  consensus-building process.  Active contributors to graduating components would be accepted
into
>  the project as full Commons committers with shared karma.
>
>  Another aspect in which existing Incubator practices are suboptimal for Commons' requirements
is
>  that, a Commons component being a relatively small entity, it is difficult to justify
expending the
>  same effort to set one up as would typically be required for a normal-sized podling.
 Commons