commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [m2][PROPOSAL] Release process
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:11:28 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > It's almost like we need a two-phase commit here.  We do some stuff
>  >  and then ask everyone "are you okay with that?"  What if we staged our
>  >  releases to an SVN working copy?  Then, everyone could look at it and
>  >  if everyone was okay with it, we could commit the changes and that
>  >  would somehow be updated in another "live" location on some periodic
>  >  basis?  I'm just thinking out loud here, so be gentle. :)
>  >
>  <snip/>
>
>  I don't know if you meant to say working copy (AIUI, thats a private copy).
>
>  In any case, this deviates sufficiently from the m2 release processes
>  around here for me to not want to look into it ATM :-)

No, what I meant was that we'd have some working copy sitting around
on the server somewhere for our m2 repository (and our distributions
directory for that matter).  Then, we would deploy to that working
copy using m2 (which would update the metadata correctly and
everything).  Then, we vote on it.  Then, if everything looks good,
then someone commits it (may need a release management group or
something for this).  Then there would be some process that does an
svn export to a directory that's rsynched to ibiblio.  Again, I'm just
thinking here.  I kind of like the idea of having an SVN copy of our
M2 repo and distributions directories.