commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: j2me commons?
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:35:27 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nick Burch <nick@torchbox.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been chatting to a few people at ApacheCon about a j2me commons, and
> they suggested I bring the idea to the dev list.

<snip/>

I'm one of those people.

> My idea was to have a commons library that implemented all the common
> things you want to do for j2me, which have annoyingly been missed out of
> the j2me spec, or are quite hard to do.
>
> Currently, I have a few functions that I've written for a project, which
> I'm happy to apache license. What I also have is tests for them, and some
> ant magic which allows you to build them on j2se, and also to unit test
> them on j2se, against a j2me class library (assuming you have the sun wtk
> installed somewhere)
>

> Do people think this is worth putting in as a new sandbox component? I'm
> happy to oversee the new component, if people are happy for me to put it
> in (+grant myself appropriate svn karma to do so)

<snap/>

I think we need a different name ( not [j2me] ). Please try to define
a scope via a proposal ( see recent example:
http://markmail.org/message/4z6z4zendcusdcnu ) -- its great for
archival so I like those things :-)

All -

I suggest we let Nick have a go at it.

The scope / component size question raised is real. I think we will
have a better idea when we see the code.

-Rahul