commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: j2me commons?
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:11:54 GMT
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, James Carman wrote:
> That sounds more like something that would be a top-level-project,
> IMHO.

Possibly much longer term, if there was the interest to sustain it!

> I could see multiple modules in something like J2ME Commons. I'm sure
> there isn't a standard set of "things you want to do for j2me."  I would
> assume (having never written for the J2ME platform) that there are
> various categories of "things" you'd want to do.

Most j2me programs get passed through pre-processors which strip out
un-used classes and methods, before being packaged for the phone. So, in
theory, it wouldn't matter too much if we gathered quite a lot of code in
one library initially, as people would only end up with what they need on
the phone

(I'm not sure how much interest there will be in a j2me commons, as most
phones have very open source hostile security rules, lack of open source
friendly dev environments etc, so there might not be a huge ecosystem of
developers)

Nick