commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all][nabla] proposition for a new project in sandbox
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 01:02:29 GMT
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:

> > The existing implementation is not yet ready for production. A lot of work
> has been done, but there are many missing features. [nabla] can handle
> simple functions from end to end (i.e. up to creating an instance of the
> differentiated class that is fully functional). Making this code available
> in the sandbox would allow to let people look at it, comment on it,
> participate if they are interested and make it go live.
> >
> > What do you think about it ?
> >

>  Well, I am wondering if this really is a "common" need that should go into
> the commons project. We already have "math".
>  If it doesn't fit in there it might well be better of to get it into labs
> IMO - not commons.

I would say the same could apply to many commons or commons-sandbox components.
The question is can we grow a community around this?  I think it is
worth a try.  It does not belong in labs because it is intended as a
community project.  It could in fact go into [math], but I agree with
Luc that it is better to start in the sandbox.  If that is not
acceptable, I guess we can just work on it in /experimental in [math].

Phil