commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [collections] 4.0 plan and [functor]
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:42:16 GMT

--- Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

> Matt Benson wrote:
> > We've talked about releasing a Collections 4.0
> with
> > deprecations removed.
> >   With all the recent interest in [functor], it
> seems
> > like it might be time to deprecate functor-related
> > code from [collections] in 3.3 (or 3.4, but more
> > notice is better than less) for removal in 4.0
> with
> > [functor] being the suggested replacement.  I was
> > thinking Collections might need to keep the basic
> > interfaces and some sort of compatibility code,
> but as
> > long as we ensure [functor] contains usable
> > alternatives for everything [collections] has I
> don't
> > see a problem.  This would be a pretty drastic
> move,
> > though... who has objections?  ;)
>
> We need to be careful of forcing the users of
> [collections] to use a
> much more complicated [functor].
>
> Basically, the original [functor] was an API with a
> lot more interfaces
> and complexity. Whilst it was a more complete
> 'functor' approach, it
> probably wouldn't suit as a replacement for the
> functor elements of
> [collections].
>
> If the intention is to simplify [functor] to the
> level of the four
> interfaces of [collections], then splitting out all
> the functor-style
> code from [collections] might make sense.

:)  I don't really see us doing that to [functor].  My
take is that for each functor interface in
[collections], there is a matching interface in
[functor].  It would therefore seem that a simple
guide "[collections] A -> [functor] B" would suffice.
If we can't all agree on that point, however, I won't
press it.

-Matt