commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Collections 3.2.1 based on RC1
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:54:21 GMT
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > The Sling project has requested an OSGi enabled release of Commons
>  >  Collections and since it seems unlikely that Collections 3.3 will be
>  >  ready in the timescale they require, I have created a release
>  >  candidate for Collections 3.2.1. This is basically a re-packaging of
>  >  the Collections 3.2 release with the appropriate OSGi meta data in the
>  >  Collections jar. The only changes I have made to the java source code
>  >  is to modify source file license headers to conform to current policy
>  >  and remove tab characters. An m2 build has been added to the
>  >  Collections 3.2 branch I created and the site has been updated to
>  >  reflect the 3.2.1 release.
>  >
>  >  The artifacts are here:
>  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/
>
>  All look OK, and source zip agrees with SVN tag.
>

>  >  SVN Tag:
>  >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_3_2_1_RC1/
>  >
>  >  Site:
>  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/
>  >  (note m2 generates relative links, so some don't work - but the site
>  >  is for info and not included in the release artifacts)
>  >
>  >  Release Notes:
>  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/RELEASE-NOTES.html
>  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/release_3_2_1.html
>  >
>  >  RAT Report:
>  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/rat-report.html
>  >
>  >  CLIRR Report:
>  >  Clirr failed and so is not available
>  >

>  That's very unfortunate ... seems like the problem may be due to a
>  doubly-nested class?

Yes I googled this and saw others having the same problem, but
couldn't find a solution.

>  >  RC2 has been built with m2 -
>
>  Since the build says it is targetted at 1.2, building with Java 1.5 is
>  not ideal.
>  Building with 1.2 would be a pain, but using 1.3 should be easy enough.
>
>  I just tried, and Ant test is OK with Java 1.3.1 and Ant 1.6.5
>
>  However, Maven1.0.2 with Java 1.3.1 gives some test failures, e.g.:
>
>  Testsuite: org.apache.commons.collections.TestAllPackages
>  Tests run: 13009, Failures: 0, Errors: 109, Time elapsed: 16.359 sec
>  These are mainly java.lang.NoSuchMethodError failures.
>
>  If I run TestAllPackages in Ant, it works fine.
>  Perhaps a bug in Maven1?

Looks that way. I had the same problem, but as you say since the tests
pass on Ant with JDK 1.3 I didn't think it was a big issue.

>  And using Java 1.2 with Ant 1.6.5 I get:
>
>     [javac] C:\ReleaseCheck\commons-collections-3.2.1-src\src\java\org\apache\commons\collections\buffer\BoundedBuffer.java:188:
>  Var
>  iable lock in class
>  org.apache.commons.collections.collection.SynchronizedCollection not
>  accessible from inner class org.apache.comm
>  ons.collections.buffer.BoundedBuffer. NotifyingIterator.
>
>     [javac]             synchronized (lock) {
>
>  Maybe it's time to drop 1.2 support?

Probably for Collections 1.3, but I wanted to create this release with
the same options as the original 3.2 release.

>  > but m1 and ant builds are available - details here:
>  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/building.html
>
>  The Ant test runs a different set of tests from M1 and M2 - I
>  calculate that it runs 12957 tests, instead of 13009. Perhaps the Ant
>  script should default to TestAllPackages as well?
>
>  Two sections both headed "Ant Goals" - perhaps they could be combined
>  for the actual site release? Also the page says that the default build
>  is Ant - so why release using M2?

Because the m2 build uses the bundle plugin which puts the OSGi meta
data in automatically and is the whole point of this release.

Niall