commons-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Possible contribution to commons: JNET
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:33:13 GMT
Hi,

we developed a nice little library over at the Excalibur project called jnet
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/trunk/components/sourceresolve/jnet/)

It is a common purpose lib that allows you to dynamically register own
url handlers. Background: the jvm only allows you to set a url handler
once, so if you want to register handling your own protocols (like
webdav: etc.), you should be the first one doing so :) Obviously, this
might work for standalone apps but once you're running in a webapp this
is bound to fail.

jnet uses a technique used by other projects to circumvent this
restriction and allows to register url handlers based on the "current
execution context", so it's possible to have different handlers for
different webapps while still running in the same jvm.

The first version is working although this is still a prototype and
there is room for additions/improvement.

As Excalibur itself is not...well...very active anymore and as this is a
general purpose stuff several projects at Apache (and in other places)
could benefit from (Cocoon is planning to use it, Felix is definitly
another candidate although we haven't discussed this yet etc.), commons
seems to be the right place.

So, my question is if there is interest here and what it would take to
get this a proper commons project?

Regards
Carsten
--