commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [all][nabla] proposition for a new project in sandbox
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:53:04 GMT
James Carman a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I share the concern. It doesn't seem obvious that the derivatives of
>>  the byte code operations would produce a computationally accurate
>>  derivative of the source function. Other than that the idea is
>>  interesting, and it would be cool to see how well it works in
>>  practice.
>>
>>  Also, the name "nabla" would suggest that the component is designed
>>  for calculating derivatives of vector functions.
>>

> The name "nabla" is also very close to "nambla" and I doubt the ASF
> wants to be associated with that organization.

I was clearly not aware of that! I didn't know the name of this
organization and add to do a web search to find what it was about.

This is clearly unfortunate and not desired.

The name was chosen because the nabla operator is so tightly linked to
differentiation (well, vector differentiation mostly as Jukka pointed
out). It fitted well the purpose of the library : be a differentiation
operator.

I'm puzzled about that. This name had exactly the good properties I
expect : short, simple to remember, fitted to its purpose, with a touch
of originality and a direct way to a simple logo. I would be really
disappointed if we would turn to some boring name like
commons-differentiator. Any other comment about this ?

Luc