commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: j2me commons?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:39:26 GMT
Jakarta is not dead, but is frozen and the goal is to have the projects left to eg go TLP (or
find a
place with mutual interest), so that decisions are made in the best interest of that project.
Also
as a PMC member you are responsible for the TLP, which in the old Jakarta days was insane
achieve. With Jakarta subprojects becoming TLP you can actually chose to just focus on your
own
codebase, without access bagage. Also problems that may arise in a subproject that are kind
of
disconnected from the rest are hard to fix / take responsibility for and that job should actually
be
done by the board, who has a mandate for that.
You might wonder why commons isn't a problem : it has focus, partially on a technical level
(eg
backward compatibility), but mainly on a community level. We all feel repsonsible for the
commons
components (although we don't all develop on all the components or understand them)..

HTH :)

Mvgr,
Martin