commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [collections] 4.0 plan and [functor]
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:35:13 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:
> We've talked about releasing a Collections 4.0 with
> deprecations removed.
>   With all the recent interest in [functor], it seems
> like it might be time to deprecate functor-related
> code from [collections] in 3.3 (or 3.4, but more
> notice is better than less) for removal in 4.0 with
> [functor] being the suggested replacement.  I was
> thinking Collections might need to keep the basic
> interfaces and some sort of compatibility code, but as
> long as we ensure [functor] contains usable
> alternatives for everything [collections] has I don't
> see a problem.  This would be a pretty drastic move,
> though... who has objections?  ;)

We need to be careful of forcing the users of [collections] to use a
much more complicated [functor].

Basically, the original [functor] was an API with a lot more interfaces
and complexity. Whilst it was a more complete 'functor' approach, it
probably wouldn't suit as a replacement for the functor elements of
[collections].

If the intention is to simplify [functor] to the level of the four
interfaces of [collections], then splitting out all the functor-style
code from [collections] might make sense.

There would still be no need to deprecate though, as [collections-5]
would just omit the classes as it is backwards incompatible anyway.

Stephen