commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Collections 3.2.1 based on RC1
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:18:48 GMT
On 12/04/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 12/04/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > The Sling project has requested an OSGi enabled release of Commons
>  >  >  Collections and since it seems unlikely that Collections 3.3 will be
>  >  >  ready in the timescale they require, I have created a release
>  >  >  candidate for Collections 3.2.1. This is basically a re-packaging of
>  >  >  the Collections 3.2 release with the appropriate OSGi meta data in the
>  >  >  Collections jar. The only changes I have made to the java source code
>  >  >  is to modify source file license headers to conform to current policy
>  >  >  and remove tab characters. An m2 build has been added to the
>  >  >  Collections 3.2 branch I created and the site has been updated to
>  >  >  reflect the 3.2.1 release.
>  >  >
>  >  >  The artifacts are here:
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/
>  >
>  >  All look OK, and source zip agrees with SVN tag.
>  >
>  >
>  >  >  SVN Tag:
>  >  >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_3_2_1_RC1/
>  >  >
>  >  >  Site:
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/
>  >  >  (note m2 generates relative links, so some don't work - but the site
>  >  >  is for info and not included in the release artifacts)
>  >  >
>  >  >  Release Notes:
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/RELEASE-NOTES.html
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/release_3_2_1.html
>  >  >
>  >  >  RAT Report:
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/rat-report.html
>  >  >
>  >  >  CLIRR Report:
>  >  >  Clirr failed and so is not available
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  That's very unfortunate ... seems like the problem may be due to a
>  >  doubly-nested class?
>

> Yes I googled this and saw others having the same problem, but
>  couldn't find a solution.

Found the solution - see:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1022446&group_id=89627&atid=590799
last e-mail on the page.

After I dropped the DoubleOrderedMap$1$* classes from 3.2.1, clirr ran
OK - it gave:

INFO: 7003: org.apache.commons.collections.map.AbstractHashedMap$HashIterator:
Method 'public java.lang.Object next()' has been removed, but an
inherited definition exists.
INFO: 7003: org.apache.commons.collections.map.AbstractLinkedMap$LinkIterator:
Method 'public java.lang.Object next()' has been removed, but an
inherited definition exists.
INFO: 7003: org.apache.commons.collections.map.AbstractLinkedMap$LinkIterator:
Method 'public java.lang.Object previous()' has been removed, but an
inherited definition exists.

The 3.2 jar does not contain these $1$* class names, presumably
because an older compiler was used.

>  >  >  RC2 has been built with m2 -
>  >
>  >  Since the build says it is targetted at 1.2, building with Java 1.5 is
>  >  not ideal.
>  >  Building with 1.2 would be a pain, but using 1.3 should be easy enough.
>  >
>  >  I just tried, and Ant test is OK with Java 1.3.1 and Ant 1.6.5
>  >
>  >  However, Maven1.0.2 with Java 1.3.1 gives some test failures, e.g.:
>  >
>  >  Testsuite: org.apache.commons.collections.TestAllPackages
>  >  Tests run: 13009, Failures: 0, Errors: 109, Time elapsed: 16.359 sec
>  >  These are mainly java.lang.NoSuchMethodError failures.
>  >
>  >  If I run TestAllPackages in Ant, it works fine.
>  >  Perhaps a bug in Maven1?
>

> Looks that way. I had the same problem, but as you say since the tests
>  pass on Ant with JDK 1.3 I didn't think it was a big issue.

I also tested the pre-built jar using Java 1.3.1 and Ant 1.6.5 -
TestAllPackages completed OK.

So I agree, it should be OK.

>  >  And using Java 1.2 with Ant 1.6.5 I get:
>  >
>  >     [javac] C:\ReleaseCheck\commons-collections-3.2.1-src\src\java\org\apache\commons\collections\buffer\BoundedBuffer.java:188:
>  >  Var
>  >  iable lock in class
>  >  org.apache.commons.collections.collection.SynchronizedCollection not
>  >  accessible from inner class org.apache.comm
>  >  ons.collections.buffer.BoundedBuffer. NotifyingIterator.
>  >
>  >     [javac]             synchronized (lock) {
>  >
>  >  Maybe it's time to drop 1.2 support?
>

> Probably for Collections 1.3, but I wanted to create this release with
>  the same options as the original 3.2 release.
>

>  >  > but m1 and ant builds are available - details here:
>  >  >  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/building.html
>  >
>  >  The Ant test runs a different set of tests from M1 and M2 - I
>  >  calculate that it runs 12957 tests, instead of 13009. Perhaps the Ant
>  >  script should default to TestAllPackages as well?
>  >
>  >  Two sections both headed "Ant Goals" - perhaps they could be combined
>  >  for the actual site release? Also the page says that the default build
>  >  is Ant - so why release using M2?
>

> Because the m2 build uses the bundle plugin which puts the OSGi meta
>  data in automatically and is the whole point of this release.

Might have been better to use the minimum version of Java, i.e. 1.4 for M2

Recently 1.5 was used to build/test Commons Net, and that missed a
problem with earlier JVM classes. Using M2 and 1.4 showed the problem.