commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Collections 3.2.1 based on RC1
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:25:41 GMT
On 12/04/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Sling project has requested an OSGi enabled release of Commons
>  Collections and since it seems unlikely that Collections 3.3 will be
>  ready in the timescale they require, I have created a release
>  candidate for Collections 3.2.1. This is basically a re-packaging of
>  the Collections 3.2 release with the appropriate OSGi meta data in the
>  Collections jar. The only changes I have made to the java source code
>  is to modify source file license headers to conform to current policy
>  and remove tab characters. An m2 build has been added to the
>  Collections 3.2 branch I created and the site has been updated to
>  reflect the 3.2.1 release.
>
>  The artifacts are here:
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/

All look OK, and source zip agrees with SVN tag.

>  SVN Tag:
>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_3_2_1_RC1/
>
>  Site:
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/
>  (note m2 generates relative links, so some don't work - but the site
>  is for info and not included in the release artifacts)
>
>  Release Notes:
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/RELEASE-NOTES.html
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/release_3_2_1.html
>
>  RAT Report:
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/rat-report.html
>
>  CLIRR Report:
>  Clirr failed and so is not available

That's very unfortunate ... seems like the problem may be due to a
doubly-nested class?

>  RC2 has been built with m2 -

Since the build says it is targetted at 1.2, building with Java 1.5 is
not ideal.
Building with 1.2 would be a pain, but using 1.3 should be easy enough.

I just tried, and Ant test is OK with Java 1.3.1 and Ant 1.6.5

However, Maven1.0.2 with Java 1.3.1 gives some test failures, e.g.:

Testsuite: org.apache.commons.collections.TestAllPackages
Tests run: 13009, Failures: 0, Errors: 109, Time elapsed: 16.359 sec
These are mainly java.lang.NoSuchMethodError failures.

If I run TestAllPackages in Ant, it works fine.
Perhaps a bug in Maven1?

And using Java 1.2 with Ant 1.6.5 I get:

    [javac] C:\ReleaseCheck\commons-collections-3.2.1-src\src\java\org\apache\commons\collections\buffer\BoundedBuffer.java:188:
Var
iable lock in class
org.apache.commons.collections.collection.SynchronizedCollection not
accessible from inner class org.apache.comm
ons.collections.buffer.BoundedBuffer. NotifyingIterator.

    [javac]             synchronized (lock) {

Maybe it's time to drop 1.2 support?

> but m1 and ant builds are available - details here:
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/collections-3.2.1-rc1/site/building.html

The Ant test runs a different set of tests from M1 and M2 - I
calculate that it runs 12957 tests, instead of 13009. Perhaps the Ant
script should default to TestAllPackages as well?

Two sections both headed "Ant Goals" - perhaps they could be combined
for the actual site release? Also the page says that the default build
is Ant - so why release using M2?