commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:52:28 GMT
Hi Simon...

   Thanks very much for your clarification and help :D .

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
<simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> [...]
to commons
>  >>  >  >  >  proper as part of the main Validator project, so people
can have 2
>  >>  >  >  >  falvours of Validator either 1/2. What do you think Naill
??
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  Yes I'm happy with that. I'll leave it a couple of days, to give
other
>  >>  >  >  people a chance to give opnions - but if there are no objections/other
>  >>  >  >  proposals then I'll go ahead and set that up in the Sandbox. For
>  >>  >  >  sandbox access I think its just a case of pinging the list (probably
>  >>  >  >  best in another thread, as it might get missed in this one) to
ask for
>  >>  >  >  Sandbox karma for yourself and your MyFaces colleague.
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  Niall
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
>  >>  >  >  >  <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >  > Hi Mohammed,
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  One of the purposes of the commons project is to pool
the work of other
>  >>  >  >  >  >  commons projects, ie extract bits out of other projects
that can be more
>  >>  >  >  >  >  widely applied. Therefore, the commons project is
pretty open to
>  >>  >  >  >  >  existing committers on other Apache projects getting
commit access to
>  >>  >  >  >  >  commons.
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  As long as the PMC/existing validator developers are
happy with the
>  >>  >  >  >  >  general idea, I think it likely that you (and any
other interested
>  >>  >  >  >  >  apache committers) would just be granted commit access
to apply changes
>  >>  >  >  >  >  yourself.
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  Regards,
>  >>  >  >  >  >  Simon
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  Mohammad Nour El-Din schrieb:
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  > > Sorry for the last stupid question I could have
know it from site, but
>  >>  >  >  >  >  > one more - I hope not stupid - question, you
will apply the Validator2
>  >>  >  >  >  >  > code in trunk and make old validator in a separate
branch ???
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  >>  >  >  >  >  > <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Mohammad
Nour El-Din
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >> <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>> Just to make sure, this is where trunk
code exist
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/validator/trunk/
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  Yes
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  Niall
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Mohammad
Nour El-Din
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  > <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  > > I skimmed over the JSR - not a
detailed look actually - and through
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  using annotations you declare
the validator class, so we can adapt the
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  current validators, or at least
make minor changes to make them
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  suitable to be used through
JSR#303/Validator2 impl. I will download
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  the code today and take a more
detailed look at JSR PDF and if I found
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  more info I will send them back
by the end of this week.
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49
PM, Niall Pemberton
2:06 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org> wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  > Hi All...
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >   Recently an EDR
JSR#303 has been published on JCP -
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303
. They intend to make a unified
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Bean Validation
APIs/Framework based on using annotations and XML
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  configuration files,
and they define the way how to apply and use
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  validation, and
it will be part of the Java Beans model.
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  I am a committer
in Apache OpenEJB, and we need such functionality for
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  bean validation
through the process of deploying an enterprise java
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  bean - we have a
home made validation framework now. And I have a
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  colleague of mine
who is working in Apache MyFaces Tomahawk-
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html
- and he is interested
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  in such functionality
to apply validation regarding JSF.
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  My colleague and
I are very interested in implementing this JSR in
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Apache Commons Validator,
but seems that the project is not active for
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  a while, so I am
asking how our changes are going to be applied to
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Commons Validator.
I mean are we going to submit changes in patches
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  and someone will
review and commit - but no one is active now to do
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  that. Or I can get
a committer access to apply changes and review
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  patches submitted
by my colleague. Please advice and help.
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Do you have an idea how
you want to do this in Commons Validator?
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Specifically I'm wondering
whether this would be a re-write or whether
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  you think the exisiting
framework could be adapated to JSR 303? My
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  thinking was that implementing
JSR 303 would involved and
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  brand-new-replacement
for the existing framework - Validator2.
>  >>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  P.S. I need your
reply ASAP to stat planning and coordination with my colleague.

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour