commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:58:10 GMT
Thanks Niall a lot. One last question for the sandbox project - if
approved - can I help you in creating whatever required for that
project, I just want to learn how these things are made :), I mean
steap related to creating new projects and so .

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

>  Niall
>
>  >
>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
>  >  <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
>  >  > Hi Mohammed,
>  >  >
>  >  >  One of the purposes of the commons project is to pool the work of other
>  >  >  commons projects, ie extract bits out of other projects that can be more
>  >  >  widely applied. Therefore, the commons project is pretty open to
>  >  >  existing committers on other Apache projects getting commit access to
>  >  >  commons.
>  >  >
>  >  >  As long as the PMC/existing validator developers are happy with the
>  >  >  general idea, I think it likely that you (and any other interested
>  >  >  apache committers) would just be granted commit access to apply changes
>  >  >  yourself.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Regards,
>  >  >  Simon
>  >  >
>  >  >  Mohammad Nour El-Din schrieb:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > > Sorry for the last stupid question I could have know it from site, but
>  >  >  > one more - I hope not stupid - question, you will apply the Validator2
>  >  >  > code in trunk and make old validator in a separate branch ???
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  >  >  > <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >> <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>> Just to make sure, this is where trunk code exist
>  >  >  >>>
>  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >>  >  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/validator/trunk/
>  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>  Yes
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>  Niall
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >>  > <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >>  > > I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed look actually
- and through
>  >  >  >>  >  >  using annotations you declare the validator class,
so we can adapt the
>  >  >  >>  >  >  current validators, or at least make minor changes
to make them
>  >  >  >>  >  >  suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2 impl.
I will download
>  >  >  >>  >  >  the code today and take a more detailed look at JSR
PDF and if I found
El-Din <mnour@apache.org> wrote:
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  > Hi All...
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >   Recently an EDR JSR#303 has been published
on JCP -
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303 .
They intend to make a unified
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Bean Validation APIs/Framework based on
using annotations and XML
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  configuration files, and they define the
way how to apply and use
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  validation, and it will be part of the
Java Beans model.
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  I am a committer in Apache OpenEJB, and
we need such functionality for
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  bean validation through the process of
deploying an enterprise java
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  bean - we have a home made validation
framework now. And I have a
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  colleague of mine who is working in Apache
MyFaces Tomahawk-
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html
- and he is interested
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  in such functionality to apply validation
regarding JSF.
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  My colleague and I are very interested
in implementing this JSR in
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Apache Commons Validator, but seems that
the project is not active for
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  a while, so I am asking how our changes
are going to be applied to
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Commons Validator. I mean are we going
to submit changes in patches
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  and someone will review and commit - but
no one is active now to do
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  that. Or I can get a committer access
to apply changes and review
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  patches submitted by my colleague. Please
advice and help.
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Do you have an idea how you want to do this
in Commons Validator?
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Specifically I'm wondering whether this would
be a re-write or whether
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  you think the exisiting framework could be adapated
to JSR 303? My
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  thinking was that implementing JSR 303 would
involved and
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  brand-new-replacement for the existing framework
- Validator2.
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Niall
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  P.S. I need your reply ASAP to stat planning
and coordination with my colleague.
>  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >