commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:20:17 GMT
Hi simon...

  Thanks a lot :), but I like the idea of Naill, that is make a
sandbox project for Validator2, so I can work away from the release
process of the current implementation of validator - Validator1, and
when I have a working thing, we can get it out of sandbox to commons
proper as part of the main Validator project, so people can have 2
falvours of Validator either 1/2. What do you think Naill ??

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
<simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> Hi Mohammed,
>
>  One of the purposes of the commons project is to pool the work of other
>  commons projects, ie extract bits out of other projects that can be more
>  widely applied. Therefore, the commons project is pretty open to
>  existing committers on other Apache projects getting commit access to
>  commons.
>
>  As long as the PMC/existing validator developers are happy with the
>  general idea, I think it likely that you (and any other interested
>  apache committers) would just be granted commit access to apply changes
>  yourself.
>
>  Regards,
>  Simon
>
>  Mohammad Nour El-Din schrieb:
>

> > Sorry for the last stupid question I could have know it from site, but
>  > one more - I hope not stupid - question, you will apply the Validator2
>  > code in trunk and make old validator in a separate branch ???
>  >
>  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  > <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>  >>
>  >> <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>> Just to make sure, this is where trunk code exist
>  >>>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/validator/trunk/
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  Yes
>  >>
>  >>  Niall
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>  >>  >
>  >>  > <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > > I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed look actually - and through
>  >>  >  >  using annotations you declare the validator class, so we can adapt
the
>  >>  >  >  current validators, or at least make minor changes to make them
>  >>  >  >  suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2 impl. I will download
>  >>  >  >  the code today and take a more detailed look at JSR PDF and if
I found
>  >>  >  >  more info I will send them back by the end of this week.
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  >>  >  >  <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org>
wrote:
>  >>  >  >  >  > Hi All...
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >   Recently an EDR JSR#303 has been published on JCP
-
>  >>  >  >  >  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303 . They intend
to make a unified
>  >>  >  >  >  >  Bean Validation APIs/Framework based on using annotations
and XML
>  >>  >  >  >  >  configuration files, and they define the way how to
apply and use
>  >>  >  >  >  >  validation, and it will be part of the Java Beans
model.
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  I am a committer in Apache OpenEJB, and we need such
functionality for
>  >>  >  >  >  >  bean validation through the process of deploying an
enterprise java
>  >>  >  >  >  >  bean - we have a home made validation framework now.
And I have a
>  >>  >  >  >  >  colleague of mine who is working in Apache MyFaces
Tomahawk-
>  >>  >  >  >  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html - and
he is interested
>  >>  >  >  >  >  in such functionality to apply validation regarding
JSF.
>  >>  >  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  >  My colleague and I are very interested in implementing
this JSR in
>  >>  >  >  >  >  Apache Commons Validator, but seems that the project
is not active for
>  >>  >  >  >  >  a while, so I am asking how our changes are going
to be applied to
>  >>  >  >  >  >  Commons Validator. I mean are we going to submit changes
in patches
>  >>  >  >  >  >  and someone will review and commit - but no one is
active now to do
>  >>  >  >  >  >  that. Or I can get a committer access to apply changes
and review
>  >>  >  >  >  >  patches submitted by my colleague. Please advice and
help.
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  Do you have an idea how you want to do this in Commons Validator?
>  >>  >  >  >  Specifically I'm wondering whether this would be a re-write
or whether
>  >>  >  >  >  you think the exisiting framework could be adapated to JSR
303? My
>  >>  >  >  >  thinking was that implementing JSR 303 would involved and
>  >>  >  >  >  brand-new-replacement for the existing framework - Validator2.
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >  Niall
>  >>  >  >  >  >  P.S. I need your reply ASAP to stat planning and coordination
with my colleague.
>  >
>  >
>  >