commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:15:24 GMT
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>
> <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed look actually - and through
>  >  using annotations you declare the validator class, so we can adapt the
>  >  current validators, or at least make minor changes to make them
>  >  suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2 impl. I will download
>  >  the code today and take a more detailed look at JSR PDF and if I found
>  >  more info I will send them back by the end of this week.
>
>  There are really two parts to Commons Validator:
>   - the framework
>   - the actual validation routines (e.g. date validation, numeric
>  validators, etc)
>
>  So I envisaged a Validator2 which implemented JSR 303 would involve
>  replacing the framework side completely, but probably re-using the
>  validation routines.

This is what I meant regarding validators and I agree with you
regarding the framework.

>  On the question of commit access - we have a low bar for existing ASF
>  committers, but as (I assume) you're completely new around here then
>  its unlikely you'll be given commit access straight away. We do
>  however allow commit access to the Commons Sandbox to any ASF
>  committer. So perhaps one way to do this would be to copy the trunk
>  into a new "Validator2" sandbox project and let you work away on it
>  there. That would give something for people to base a decision on
>  whether to give you full commit access to Commons.
>
>  The alternative is to submit patches and wait for someone to apply
>  them. Not sure whether I'll have much time to do that or not.
>
>  Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions?

I know that I can't get a committer access right away - I wento
through this working for OpenEJB :) - All what I wanted to know is
that how changes are going to be applied, that's all, and in case of
applying patches I just wanted to make sure that there is someone who
will review. Don't worry I know the ASF process - I think at least
fair enough :).

>  Niall
>

>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  >  <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org>
wrote:
>  >  >  > Hi All...
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >   Recently an EDR JSR#303 has been published on JCP -
>  >  >  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303 . They intend to make a unified
>  >  >  >  Bean Validation APIs/Framework based on using annotations and XML
>  >  >  >  configuration files, and they define the way how to apply and use
>  >  >  >  validation, and it will be part of the Java Beans model.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  I am a committer in Apache OpenEJB, and we need such functionality
for
>  >  >  >  bean validation through the process of deploying an enterprise java
>  >  >  >  bean - we have a home made validation framework now. And I have a
>  >  >  >  colleague of mine who is working in Apache MyFaces Tomahawk-
>  >  >  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html - and he is interested
>  >  >  >  in such functionality to apply validation regarding JSF.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  My colleague and I are very interested in implementing this JSR in
>  >  >  >  Apache Commons Validator, but seems that the project is not active
for
>  >  >  >  a while, so I am asking how our changes are going to be applied to
>  >  >  >  Commons Validator. I mean are we going to submit changes in patches
>  >  >  >  and someone will review and commit - but no one is active now to do
>  >  >  >  that. Or I can get a committer access to apply changes and review
>  >  >  >  patches submitted by my colleague. Please advice and help.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Do you have an idea how you want to do this in Commons Validator?
>  >  >  Specifically I'm wondering whether this would be a re-write or whether
>  >  >  you think the exisiting framework could be adapated to JSR 303? My
>  >  >  thinking was that implementing JSR 303 would involved and
>  >  >  brand-new-replacement for the existing framework - Validator2.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Niall
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  >  P.S. I need your reply ASAP to stat planning and coordination with
> [...]

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour