commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:54:03 GMT
I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed look actually - and through
using annotations you declare the validator class, so we can adapt the
current validators, or at least make minor changes to make them
suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2 impl. I will download
the code today and take a more detailed look at JSR PDF and if I found
more info I will send them back by the end of this week.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org> wrote:
>  > Hi All...
>  >
>  >   Recently an EDR JSR#303 has been published on JCP -
>  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303 . They intend to make a unified
>  >  Bean Validation APIs/Framework based on using annotations and XML
>  >  configuration files, and they define the way how to apply and use
>  >  validation, and it will be part of the Java Beans model.
>  >
>  >  I am a committer in Apache OpenEJB, and we need such functionality for
>  >  bean validation through the process of deploying an enterprise java
>  >  bean - we have a home made validation framework now. And I have a
>  >  colleague of mine who is working in Apache MyFaces Tomahawk-
>  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html - and he is interested
>  >  in such functionality to apply validation regarding JSF.
>  >
>  >  My colleague and I are very interested in implementing this JSR in
>  >  Apache Commons Validator, but seems that the project is not active for
>  >  a while, so I am asking how our changes are going to be applied to
>  >  Commons Validator. I mean are we going to submit changes in patches
>  >  and someone will review and commit - but no one is active now to do
>  >  that. Or I can get a committer access to apply changes and review
>  >  patches submitted by my colleague. Please advice and help.
>
>  Do you have an idea how you want to do this in Commons Validator?
>  Specifically I'm wondering whether this would be a re-write or whether
>  you think the exisiting framework could be adapated to JSR 303? My
>  thinking was that implementing JSR 303 would involved and
>  brand-new-replacement for the existing framework - Validator2.
>
>  Niall
>

>  >  P.S. I need your reply ASAP to stat planning and coordination with my colleague.

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour