commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [m2][PROPOSAL] Release process
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:54:29 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 7:33 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  It should be obvious that code uploaded to a personal user directory
>  has not been formally released.
>
>  If a shared repository is used then this is less obvious, and there is
>  a risk that users will assume that it is a release. If a shared
>  repository is to be used for unreleased (development) code then it
>  needs to be very clearly identified as such, and the repository
>  location should not be published to users.

It's almost like we need a two-phase commit here.  We do some stuff
and then ask everyone "are you okay with that?"  What if we staged our
releases to an SVN working copy?  Then, everyone could look at it and
if everyone was okay with it, we could commit the changes and that
would somehow be updated in another "live" location on some periodic
basis?  I'm just thinking out loud here, so be gentle. :)