commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [m2][PROPOSAL] Release process
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2008 02:37:10 GMT
> If I raise my view and just look at the A, B, C and D headings, it
>  sounds good. But, there shouldn't be two options under B. IMO we should
>  always use the release plugin. That will give us consistent releases.
>
>  Should something be wrong with the release-plugin we'll be consistently
>  wrong :-) But bugs are meant to be fixed, so that shouldn't be a problem
>  in the long run.

Another thing to consider is that the release plugin isn't written
specifically for apache commons or the ASF in general, nor should it
be.  Maven is designed to be a general-purpose build system for all
projects.  We could consider writing our own release plugin which
enforces/supports our release process.  It shouldn't be that tough, if
that's what it comes down to.  I think the maven release plugin's
philosophy of cutting/deploying releases differs from ours.