commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [site] Dependency pages
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:24:01 GMT
>  > The groupId/artifactId/version/classifier are all necessary for
>  >  determining exactly which jar you're talking about.  I don't think any
>  >  of those should be dropped.
>  >

> I've yet to see anything other than "-" as a Classifier - what purpose
>  does it serve?

The classifier is just not specified in those cases.  There are times
when a classifier is used.  Take TestNG for example.

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/testng/testng/5.7/

They have two different flavors jdk14 and jdk15 which are specified
using classifiers.

>  As I can tell, the group id is not relevant to non-Maven users, and
>  people who do use Maven don't need it because Maven takes care of it.

If someone wants to exclude a transitive dependency for some reason
(the transitive dependency is spring.jar and your project uses
spring-*.jars), then they need to know what the groupIds are in order
to construct the excludes.

>  If the additional columns are to mean anything useful to the user,
>  then there should be a link to a description of the column headings.

Agreed, there should be an explanation to the non-maven user, but then
again *everyone* should be using Maven anyway! ;-)

>  Also, for anyone who is not using Maven, the M1 listing is much easier
>  to use, because it gives a link to the project web-site.

Yes, the URL is nice.  If you scroll down to the "Dependency Listings"
section, it has more information about each of the dependencies,
including the URL, description, and license.  I never noticed it
before, but way down at the bottom of the m2 report, it gives you
specific information about the dependencies like how big the jar is
and if it was compiled with debug on.  That's pretty cool.  As a
matter of fact, maybe our jars should be compiled in "release" mode by
default, but we include the "debug" version and use a classifier to
distinguish between them?  Release-compiled code performs better from
what I understand (or at least they used to).