commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: Continuum Failures
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:14:13 GMT
On 3/3/08, simon.kitching@chello.at <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> I'll try to find time to look into it, but it won't be for at least a
>  couple of weeks.
>
>  Commons-logging does some *very* unusual things with classpaths during
>  integration-tests, because the tests need to check how things work in
>  all sorts of odd classloader setups. The same test is sometimes called
>  multiple times, for example, with different classpaths set up on each
>  invocation.
>
>  Logging's test cases should be reasonably well documented though; I put
>  some effort into this as it is so unusual.

Maybe it's time Commons Logging got an overhaul.  I suggested quite
some time ago (http://markmail.org/message/oqesn6dhlqdhzsbh) that we
split JCL into multiple modules (like slf4j does).  I wouldn't mind
helping with it.  It would just have to be a major release (2.0) of
JCL to avoid any backward compatibility gripes.  Unfortunately, since
slf4j already does this, it will seem like a rip-off, but it's the
right way to do it.