commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [site] Dependency pages
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 03:42:31 GMT
On 3/18/08, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I liked the m1 dependency page version [1] better than the m2 one [2].
>  >  The latter seems a bit noisy from the user PoV, and is mildly
>  >  incorrect in some places, such as the dependency tree and transitivity
>  >  of optionality.
>

> I re-generated the sites afte updating components to version 8 of
>  commons-parent. Unfortunately this picked up a copy in my local repo
>  of the maven-project-info-reports-plugin built from the latest source
>  - as well as my Java version changes there seems to be other bugs in
>  that version. This was accidental and unintentional on my part and in
>  version 9 of commons-parent the maven-project-info-reports-plugin
>  version is specified, so it shouldn't happen again.
<snip/>

Thanks, though I didn't mean to revisit that.

> Re-generating the
>  scxml dependencies page now results in the following:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/scxml/dependencies.html

<snap/>

Things that bothered me (and still do in the page above are):

 * Dependency tree: In this example, it seems like commons-logging and
servlet-api are transitive (they are *also* transitive, but they are
first-order dependencies). commons-collections shows up elsewhere in
the report but is not in the dependency tree.

 * Optionality: If myfaces-api is optional, so should be commons-lang
(which comes in transitively through the api) and so on.

I did a small usability study (sample size of 2, hah!) and asked,
while pointing to the m1 and m2 dependency reports "As a user trying
to figure out which dependencies are needed, which report would you
prefer?". Both opted for the m1 report overall. I will add that the m2
dependency tree was a favorite -- paints a visual (though they took it
to be correct), and I'd prefer no picture over a somewhat incorrect
one. For the m1 report, one has only oneself to blame for not writing
better comments in the last column.

If others have similar observations, I may take this to a more
appropriate forum :-)

-Rahul