commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r633028 - in /commons/proper/net/trunk/src: java/org/apache/commons/net/ftp/parser/ java/org/apache/commons/net/tftp/ test/org/apache/commons/net/ftp/parser/ test/org/apache/commons/net/ntp/ test/org/apache/commons/net/tftp/ test/org/
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:45:22 GMT
> On 03/03/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
>  >
>  > The noise is only in the email message - looking at diffs in svn
>  >  history shows nothing:
>  >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/net/ftp/parser/MVSFTPEntryParser.java?view=log
>

> However, the main oversight for commits is people reading the commit e-mails.
>

>  >  The real solution though is for people to configure the svn clients
>  >  properly to set the svn properties when they add artifacts to the repo
>

> Agreed.
>

>  >  and using the appropriate OS is not IMO viable. I only have access to
>  >  one OS (windoze), but even if I had a spare machine with another OS
>  >  around (and svn installed and projects checked out on both) then
>

> I use my login on p.a.o for fixing such things.
>

>  >  working out what line endings each file without the property set has
>  >  before going to the appropriate machine to committ is not something I
>  >  want to do or expect others to.
>

> Though one could expect the original committer to fix the problem.

<snap/>

Indeed, while this is easy to get wrong (new committer, new
machine/svn client etc. -- i.e. seems to happen often), I'd expect the
original committer to fix the problem (hopefully, using the same OS as
before, and therefore, minimal email noise). Along those lines, I try
to flag commits missing props.

-Rahul