commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject [DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:39:59 GMT
Anything I missed or got wrong? Maybe I missed new PMC members as
usual? :-)

Henry, did I cover the Incubator idea correctly? Feel free to change
directly in

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/commons/reports/board

...or let me know.

cheers

--
Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

General
=======

   o Activity

     The past few months have been quite busy. A couple of releases
(see below)
     have gone out. Based on http://markmail.org/ user activity is
slowly
     declining while activity on the development list has significantly
     increased at the beginning of the year. It's slowly declining
again.

     Question of dormancy have been raised for 'commons vfs' and
'commons
     launcher'.

   o Re-release of old source distributions

     This has been brought to the board's attention before. For the
users
     convenience we would like to re-package old source releases and
provide
     them also as source jars. This of course affects releases that
have been
     made under ASL 1.1. While new releases have to be ASL 2.0 the
current
     opinion is that (as long as nothing is changed during the
process) this
     "re-packaging" does not classify as a new release. So we can
still provide
     the new artifact under ASL 1.1. Basically it would have to
adhere to the
     rules when the orignal release has been made.

     No action has been taking yet. I would be great to get the board's
     agreement on the PMC's notion.

   o Commons Sandbox Incubator

     While the Commons Sandbox works quite straight forward for ASF
internal
     use. The question is what to do with external component level code
     donations that may or may not been already covered by CLA.
Building a
     community around a single component inside the normal Incubator
might
     be tough. The idea has been brought up to work with Labs or the
Incubator
     to find a solution to this.

   o Removal of Cobertura reports (as the resulting reports may GPL)

     Cobertura is a code coverage plugin for maven. It's been used
through the
     ASF to generate reports that are part of the website. As at
least parts
     of the generated site is covered by the GPL we decided not to
use it
     anymore. Otherwise we cannot ship the website for a release.

   o Support for OSGi

     New Commons releases will now include the metadata that is
required to be
     used inside OSGi out of the box.

   o We got two new components into the Commons sandbox

     - monitoring

       http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Monitoring

     - commons build plugin

       Which got promoted to proper pretty much straight away for the
       infrastructure and build improvements (see below)

       http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/
200802.mbox/%
3c55afdc850802091808g61a86940t9e5d75115c0ef837@mail.gmail.com%3e

Releases
========

   o Released
     - commons SCXML 0.7              http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200712.mbox/%
3cce1f2ea80712191002g5f96d5few83279ba4a42999bd@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons pool 1.4               http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c8a81b4af0801151908x195f664dy600cd83abecdaaa8@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons sandbox parent POM 3   http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801181745g7f48efc4s5e84447297732a25@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons IO 1.4                 http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801200801p16e8265em3652d1e0e81a9f5d@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons fileupload 1.2.1       http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3ce75283b10802061209r554e249dg7f3afd6ccfcab6cb@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons math 1.2               http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3c8a81b4af0802232149g3e237e9j455d62d3ac0d3d6@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons build plugin 1.0       http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3c55afdc850802240403n4d6f3ae7o5bfa09bc6c3b3a53@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons proxy 1.0              http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3cf2e8eedf0802261011g5dfe9517g9d089cbfc101cb5b@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 6           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801061239r6128513cxde21e25e0338af01@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 7           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801151216pe4a33dbj4455ed5737e69891@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 8           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/%
3c55afdc850803011310u31561507te49f5bf5d51678f6@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons sandbox parent POM 4   http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/%
3c55afdc850803041651q37ddd80bxba6973e90cadf900@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 9           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/%
3c55afdc850803090330i1f529a94vf5c8fbdf07424698@mail.gmail.com%3e

Infrastructure
==============

   o The maven based release process has been discussed and improved.
   o For some components missing/broken redirects from jakarta have
been fixed.
   o Old bugzilla entries have been removed and we are 100% jira now.
We hope
     to get redirects in place so people will not hit broken links
but get to
     correct jira issue instead.

     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/
%3c8a81b4af0803081206v290eb85cjda5a1d4555ea0ccb@mail.gmail.com%3e