commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] Breaking compatibility with 1.8.0-BETA
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:46:30 GMT

--- Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Paul Benedict
> <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> >  > How does removing the parameter solve the
> leaking?
> >
> >  Hi Paul,
> >
> >  I don't want to put you off, but I'm just in the
> process of writing up
> >  some stuff that I'll post on the JIRA ticket -
> which is probably the
> >  best place to discuss actual changes/issues.
> Really I was just looking
> >  for opinions on breaking compatibility with a
> Beta release in this
> >  thread - a heads up, rather than me going ahead
> and making changes
> >  only to find people objecting if/when theres a
> release vote for
> >  BeanUtils.
>
> Doesn't mean much as I'm such a liberal on the
> subject; but break
> compat with beta release +1.

Agreed; alphas, and to a lesser extent betas should
allow users (even those who are developers) to
identify problems.  If the API will be better for
being changed upfront like this, bleeding-edge beta
users should be agile enough to adapt.  That was a
risk they (hopefully knowingly) undertook.  We do
appreciate the fact that they are willing to step up
and act as guinea pigs, but if a change is for the
greater good...

-Matt