commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Creating a 2.0 exploratory branch?
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:59:53 GMT

Actually I have also been thinking of starting a JCL 2.0

It would be a chance to fix the bad reputation.

>>> I think you're biting off a really big task here.
>>>
>>>  SLF4J has strengths, but also weaknesses. There are some things
>>> it does
>>>  better than commons-logging, but some things that it cannot do.
>>> I would
>>>  therefore be against just duplicating SLF4J and calling it the
>>>  "replacement" for commons-logging 1.1.x.
>>>

>> Well, I only plan on changing the discovery part.  Currently, I think
>> we just do something like this:
>>
>> 1.  If log4j is there, use that.
>> 2.  If not, if jdk4 logging is available use that.
>> 3.  If not, then try avalon logkit, etc.

I think the whole JCL problem is that it does to much. I would be all
for doing something much more simple.
That'd be e.g. - no discovery at all.

Will it in the end be similar to SLF4J - probably somewhat.

cheers
--
Torsten