commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:08:34 GMT
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
> I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed look actually - and through
>  using annotations you declare the validator class, so we can adapt the
>  current validators, or at least make minor changes to make them
>  suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2 impl. I will download
>  the code today and take a more detailed look at JSR PDF and if I found
>  more info I will send them back by the end of this week.

There are really two parts to Commons Validator:
 - the framework
 - the actual validation routines (e.g. date validation, numeric
validators, etc)

So I envisaged a Validator2 which implemented JSR 303 would involve
replacing the framework side completely, but probably re-using the
validation routines.

On the question of commit access - we have a low bar for existing ASF
committers, but as (I assume) you're completely new around here then
its unlikely you'll be given commit access straight away. We do
however allow commit access to the Commons Sandbox to any ASF
committer. So perhaps one way to do this would be to copy the trunk
into a new "Validator2" sandbox project and let you work away on it
there. That would give something for people to base a decision on
whether to give you full commit access to Commons.

The alternative is to submit patches and wait for someone to apply
them. Not sure whether I'll have much time to do that or not.

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions?

Niall