commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Showing the Java Version on component sites
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:14:20 GMT
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>  > I just re-published all the component sites and notice that (by
>  > mistake) it had used a patched copy of the
>  > maven-project-info-reports-plugin that I have in my local repo
>  > (sorry!). Anyway I submitted a patch to maven to include the Java
>  > version on the dependencies page. The feedback I got was they prefer
>  > it on the project summary page - so I submitted a patch for that as
>  > well.
>  >
>  > Logging is an example of using different source/target versions:
>  >    http://commons.apache.org/logging/dependencies.html
>  >    http://commons.apache.org/logging/project-summary.html
>
>  The part about "It has been built using Java 1.5" in the dependencies
>  report isn't accurate. 1.5 is the version used (by you) to build and
>  publish the site. I used 1.4 when I did the logging release, so having
>  anything else there is misleading. I think that part should be removed.
>  What extra value does it give to users, providing it was correct?

I could ask the same question of maven and the Build-Jdk it puts in
the manifest which is really mis-leading since the source/target
settings are missing - except here in commons.

My answer though is its a warning - since setting the target option
doesn't actually guarantee it will run on that version if API's from
later java versions have been used.

Niall